Thursday, November 10, 2011

Living with GBS...

Last year I was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome, a disorder in which the body's immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system. I was under the weather for sometime, when suddenly my blood pressure went through the roof, I could no longer walk and started to black out. After a month and a half of treatments (IVIG) and physical therapy, I was released from the hospital and barely able to get around with a walker.

I began out patient therapy and was walking with a cane in a month. My doctors and therapists suggested I take up golf as part of my recovery. I fell in love with it and started playing 4 times a week. My husband and I became regulars at TopGolf. The motion involved in a golf swing strengthens the core and leg muscles. After a few months, I was walking without a cane.

It's been a year and I'm getting stronger everyday. Unfortunately I've also been diagnosed with CIDP, but that's not going to hold me back. I still have my off days, but I keep pushing along. Since the numbness in my feet prevents me from driving, I've taken up several crafts, taking online classes and running a few online communities - all things I can do from home.

Thanks for reading my blog, and in the words of Evil Knievel "A man may fall many times in life, but is only a failure when he refuses to get up."


2 comments:

  1. Ma, I just found this via your fb recipe post. I didnt ever know exactly what happend last year and I don't know what you have had to go through since then till now. I am glad that you are a fighter and that you are adjusting, I think you are awesome and I hope that you keep on doing better every day. Thank you so much for sharing this and I am glad I found it. Love and peace, keep on swinging straight through to the green! Jr

    ReplyDelete